Romanian fresh cheese donuts (Papanași)
If you want to enjoy a generous and delicious dessert, Romanian Papanasi donuts are for you. These donuts are fried in oil and served hot with crème fraîche and red fruit jam. Their typical shape is reminiscent of that of French nuns, with a small ball placed on a large one. Papanasi are a traditional dessert from Romania, which can be enjoyed on all occasions. They are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, and their taste is both sweet and tangy. Papanasi are a real treat that will take you on a journey and delight you.
Done in 15 min.
- 10 min.
- 5 min.
Ingredients for 4 parts
- In a bowl, mix the cheese, egg yolk, zest, vanilla sugar and salt.
- Then add the yeast then the flour without kneading, we do not want any gluten development.
- Whipping the egg whites and incorporating them little by little into the dough.
- Heat the oil up to 170°C.
- On an oiled work surface, divide the dough into 4. From each piece of dough, remove a nut and form a ball. With the rest of the dough pieces form rings.
- Cook the donuts in the oil, when they are golden brown, place them on absorbent paper.
- Serve with a tablespoon of crème fraîche and a teaspoon of blueberry jam.