Traditional salted butter caramel from Brittany
Breton salted butter caramel is a culinary specialty that delights the taste buds. Its creamy texture and sweet-salty taste make it an essential dessert. To make this sweet treat, simply melt sugar, add semi-salted butter and liquid cream, then let it simmer slowly. You can enjoy the Breton salted butter caramel plain, spread it on pancakes or drizzle it on ice cream. Try this quick and easy recipe for a guaranteed delicious moment.
Done in 45 min.
- 5 min.
- 10 min.
- 30 min.
Ingredients for 10 parts
- In a saucepan, heat the sugar and water over low heat without stirring until it caramelizes.
- When the color becomes amber, add the butter in pieces off the heat and mix. Remove from the heat when it starts to turn golden, the caramel will be too bitter if it turns brown!
- Add the liquid cream and stir vigorously until the mixture is smooth.
- Return the pan to the heat and bring to the boil. For a fairly liquid caramel, stop cooking after boiling. For a thicker caramel, continue boiling for a few moments and remove the mixture from the heat.
- Let cool and store in the fridge